Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Parents Visit the New Abode

My dad and stepmother visited to drop off some stuff to my new place. I think the curiosity was killing them. My only scary moment was when my dad went in the 2nd bedroom/computer room and there was a stack of dirty VCR tapes and a boxed set of Queer as Folk sitting in view. No need to get his homophobia in an uproar, so I swept them off to an out-of-view hidey place. Silly explanations avoided. Most comments included "cozy", "cute", and "old".

Kitchen stuff has been unpacked and I started on the oven. Ugh, gross. The racks were solid black, sticky with a tar-like texture. One treatment of Easy-Off will lead to another, although chrome is showing up on about 50% of them. What did the prior tenant cook in the oven, I wonder? My only clue is the dried beans and Adobo left in the cabinets.

Still many boxes unpacked. I fear the 2nd bedroom will never house a bed. One, because it's seriously small. And, two, because it will house containers that will never be unpacked, because there is no room. Down-sizing has it's risks, afterall.

I still have no regrets. I will make it work. Even if the washing machine drain does not drain as fast as the washing machine evacuates water. Small steps, I say to myself. The next step is buying a real, adult bed. For the last 6 years or so, I've slept on blow-up beds. In the last 6 months or so, my back has been screaming for another solution. Even on week-ends, I have to get up at 7am or so, my internal, spinal alarm sounding before I want to get up.

More to come.........

4 comments:

Yogi said...

If you possibly can afford it, the sleep number bed is unreal, We've had one for 10+ years and it made all the difference to my back and my wife's hips.

But if I hadn't made a bundle on a contract, i never could have afforded it. :-(

My wife's grandma moved from a 12-bed home for adults that she ran, to a 4 BR suburban. There were 2 very narrow aisles in the garage, the living room was floor-to-ceiling, as were 2 bedrooms.

She would have made a great reality show.

Anonymous said...

For years I used a 12 inch thick air mattress in a water bed frame, absolutely loved it. But now it doesn't work - and I am so picky with mattress shopping - sort of like the Princess and the Pea story. Shop carefully and I wish you good luck with that. Firm but cushy on the top is great!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear about your new place! Congrats & please keep writing.

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Yogi-thanks for the comment. My parents just got a sleep number and I'm so jealous. But, Jesus, those suckers are expensive!

L-so glad to hear from you! I'm looking forward to a real, box frame and coil mattress bed. No more blow-ups, no more couches. A real "big-boy" bed LOL.

Anonymous-whoever you are, thanks! At "almost 50", this will be the first time I've lived in a real house and not an apartment. Thursday will be my first time mowing my own grass. Yay, grown-up-hood!