Thursday, June 14, 2007

One True Truth

There is only one constant in the restaurant business, and that is constant change. Chain restaurants that have the same management for more than six months is the exception, and not the norm. With costs, like gas (delivery surcharges), labor, and health care, rising faster than Bush's disapproval rating, cuts have to be made somewhere. Unfortunately, it's usually with the salaried personnel in a restaurant, read management.

Restaurant management used to be, and still is to some extent, a fairly lucrative job.....good benefits, decent pay, consistent raises, etc. Then, around five years ago, things started going in the wrong direction. Bonuses started being re-formulated to include guest satisfaction surveys. Stock options started going only to the top of the top management. Bonuses started having a "maximum" payout. The main problem with chain restaurants started to be with the stockholders' greed, and not with present and future performance of said restaurant. It used to be that beating a 20% labor cost was fantastic, then 19%, then 18, then 17. After cutting all those hourly hours, how are you going to make it up? Uhhhhhh...geez, maybe the salaried folks will have to pick up that slack! What once was a 50-hour week became a 55 to 60 hour week.

Suddenly, that $14/hour sous chef working 40 hours per week (absolutely no overtime allowed), was making more than all of the managers. Who in their right mind would consent to that? I've met some masochistic managers in life, but that's a stretch even for them. Every one of the good - to - great managers I've ever worked with (myself included, thank you very much), have now moved on to something else. After awhile, you just ask yourself, "Is this worth having no life, whatsoever?".

And that is why, when you go to almost any restaurant nowadays (excluding $100 per head chi-chi restaurants), your service will suck, the bathroom will be a mess, your reservations will be behind, the help will be surly, and the management non-existent on the floor.

For all you restaurant peeps, rest assured. There are other careers out there. Save your pennies, hire a professional to do your resume, and never stop searching. There is hope. After decades in the biz, I've found what may be my perfect job. And I repeat, once again, 40 hours, Monday thru Friday, all week-ends and holidays off, same money. All you need to do is SEEK!

Happy hunting!

3 comments:

last one home said...

Iam hooked through the bag and will die with menus in my hand--however I salute you and anyone else who has made it over the fence and past the dogs. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Wait, I chose this as my second career, and have found it quite addictive. What are you saying this says about me.... :) In truth, I actually like working weekends and having a weekday off now and then. I know, God help me.

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Thanks for the comments, guys! Sometimes us "newbies" wonder if anyone really reads this stuff. I know I enjoy both of yours.