Saturday, December 22, 2007

Holiday Cheer

When I first started with this company, I was regaled with how the owners were so 'giving' and how they treated us so well during the holidays. I was giddy with anticipation, as today was our holiday party.

In years past, the party was given at the swankiest restaurant in town. White tablecloth, crumbers at the ready, vintage wine, all the best.

This year, lunch at Carrabas. Beer and wine was included, as long as you drug your own ass up to the bar. And the bartender was not the most jolly of fellows. Nor the fastest of pourers. And the Shiraz was Yellowtail, all of $10 per 1.5 liter at your nearest Wally-world. (I'm not a wine-snob, but really)

We all started out with Caesar salads, over-dressed and a bit soggy, but on nicely chilled plates.

My steak was done just right, medium-rare, but those around me were less than thrilled. Quite ordinary for a banquet type setting.

Better yet, we were all awaiting the envelopes that were distributed after the heart-filled speech given by our Leader. Interjected with Bible quotes.

I opened the envelope later after leaving. It would be gauche to open it up amidst the masses.

$100. Thanks, now I can afford 2/3rds of one tire of the four that I need to replace after running all over two counties to drum up business for you.

I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.

No comments: