Friday, July 13, 2007

I'm An Ass-Wipe.

This is a hard one. I usually consider myself a very giving person, someone who goes out of my way to make others happy. Not in a monetary way like Bill Gates, or Bob Geldof, or Bono. Just an ordinary person who does unordinary things to make the day a little brighter for those with a frown on their countenance. That's why this recent happening weighs heavy on my soul.

On a typical hot, humid afternoon here in the panhandle, things were as usual. Short periods of inactivity broken up by hordes of customers looking for spatulas, stock pots, and three-compartment sinks. I was hovering close to a lookie-loo, waiting to sell her the latest and greatest saute pan, when in walks another customer. The other salespeoples were busy with other customers, so I sauntered over.

"Hi, how are you today? What can I help you find today?"

"I'm lost and I'm looking for my house."

"I'm sorry...I don't think I understand."

"I live at **** Bayshore Drive and I can't find it."

This woman was close in age to what my grandmother would have been had she still been alive, I'm thinking late 80-something. She was tastefully dressed, hair done just so like they do in the South, but maybe a tosh too much jewelry, although not jarringly so. She appeared mostly coherent, but her eyes held that far-away gaze that seems like she's looking straight through you. I was non-plussed.

Multi-tasking went right out the window as the other customer interrupted me for an inconsequential question about aluminum poisoning and saute pans. I gave an off-the-cuff answer and went back to pseudo-Grandma. Being new to the area, I guided the woman to the counter where another salesman gave her clear directions, twice, while I kept each ear directed in two different directions. The elderly lady thanked both of us and headed toward the door.

I finished the sale with the other customer and rushed toward the door, looking to see if this woman was actually driving, thinking maybe I should call the police with a description of her car. Who wants a person like this on the road? Who hasn't followed "one of those" in the passing lane at 5 below the speed limit for miles with their turn signal on?

I saw nothing of her until I went out the door. Walking down the sidewalk was this lady, striding purposely toward her goal. Two miles away! Suddenly, a very depressing realisation hit me. I had been dealing with a woman who was obviously suffering from Alzheimer's Disease. And she was walking beside a busy road a couple of miles from her destination on a 90-degree day. My feet remained stuck as in concrete. Why couldn't I think of some daring-do thing to do? I second-guessed myself into non-action.

I should have dropped everything and went after her, offered her a ride, anything. I would have wanted someone to do that for my Grandmother. I don't know why I didn't. I should have. I should have. I should have. I hope with all my heart that she found Bayshore Drive safely, if even she still lived there.

I'm an ass-wipe.

4 comments:

. said...

You aren't an asswipe, kiddo. It's one of those things that you think of the right thing to do after it happens. Don't beat yourself up. Everything happens for a reason, right?

Sous Gal said...

okay. I can't find an email addy for you? I like reading what you write :) You walked off a job, too? high fives. I've not done that before. Much :) Oh. And Disco rules.

Diana.

Anonymous said...

A very real and touching story. I, too, hope she found her way home.

--RG

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Oh, I do so hope so. Unbeknownst to me while I was in Massachusetts, my grandmother in the south was walking around her neighborhood while suffering from Dementia. Police were called, etc. I don't know if someone helped her, but I hope someone did, like I didn't.