Sunday, January 6, 2008

A Face From the Past

I spent part of my day today, driving around, seeing what the rental situation is in my area. I've got less that two months to decide if I want to stay in my present abode. It's not a bad place, but I think I can do better for the money.

While driving, I happened to drive through the neighborhood where my ex-Kitchen Manager lives. I hadn't been there before, was just following For Rent signs. Turning a corner I caught sight of his truck, and a second later, he was raising his garage door.

Should I honk? Should I pull over? I wanted to stop and talk, but I had things to do (lame excuse). Thing is, I didn't know what to say. I left the job at 3 in the morning and didn't say good-bye to anyone. He knows the reasons I left, and we've chatted a few times on the phone when he called in an order for smallwares or for service. The last time we talked he said, "It's a shame you left, we could have accomplished a lot."

He was a good Kitchen Manager and we worked well together. I just couldn't work there anymore. And I'm sure he understands. But, still.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to poop byto thank you for coming by my spot. I linked you up :) Let's not be strangers.

Restaurant Gal said...

Weird to see those former folks in our lives. Sometimes it is best to keep driving.

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

U.W., I've been giggling to your writing for awhile.

RG, nice to hear from you, as always. Seeing old work-mates, where one left in mysterious circumstances, is awkward. I ran into one of my ex-servers at Wally-world. HER, I tried to pump for info, but my Kitchen Manager, I didn't have the words.