Monday, January 28, 2008

Yeah, That'll Work

Even though I was a fresh-faced 19-year-old, I felt I was a hardened and experienced restaurant veteran by the time I moved to Ohio in late 1979. I was as down-trodden as a Michael Vick reject, battle-scarred, tail between my legs, but ready to use my wits and resources to rise back to the top. Ready to show what I could really accomplish away from the dreaded chain fast-food restaurant. And ready to do it at a privately owned establishment.

Shortly after arriving in this rust-belt town, there was an ad in the paper for a deli worker in a new, exciting concept. An 'important' local TV celeb was starting his own chain of delicatessens. It would have TV references, with cutesy names for the sandwiches and 'Hollywood' lights around the mirrors, and, well, you get the idea. A big ego, with the backing of a local "family man" (nudge,nudge,wink,wink). Always a good idea. Even better, put the son-in-law in charge. What could be better to re-establish myself?

2 comments:

Voodoo76 said...

Ok, you inspired me to start writing again. Thank you. :-)

http://neverfar76.blogspot.com/

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Well, Voodoo, you must be easily inspired. My productivity is down, but I think I'm getting pickier about what I publish. But, I'm glad anyway. There are too many good bloggers taking sabbaticals or 'breaks' lately, so we need more to take their place.