Friday, August 28, 2009

Second Thoughts

I thought long and hard while my finger was hovering over the 'publish' button on that last post. I tried very hard to keep politics out of my blog in the past. Don't we get enough of that shit from more conventional means? I've started half a dozen posts over the last month and erased them because, damn, there are puh-lenty political blogs out there. I get plenty of it at work, mostly from our resident Ditto-Head. Today's rant from DH just made me that much more resolved to stop deleting those posts. Today's piece of mis-information?

DH: "Did you hear about Obama's latest maneuver? He's going to shut down the Internet and all phone calls in case of emergency!

ME: "And where did you get this information today, DH?"

DH: "It was just reported by The Drudge Report!" (And, yes, he does use Exclamation points when talking about his despised President)

ME: "Ah, yes, and Drudge is so non-judgemental and trustworthy. Like when he reported about the 'Death Boards' and the so-called forged birth certificate."

DH: "Well, it was also covered by the Washington Post."

ME: "Which is a 'newspaper' in name only. Let's call it what it is. The Right Wing Rag."

***crickets***

On a daily basis, whether it's listening to the local talk-radio, talking to customers, hearing this bull at work, or reading the comment section of the local rag, everyone is in lock-step (parallel intended) with the daily talking-point memos that the rightwingers are instructed to rant about.

I just wish these people would get their information from somewhere besides Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Matt Drudge, or Fox News. There might be more conversation and less accusation. Because right now, reason is out of the question. A commenter today on Pensacola News Journal's letters to the editor called Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham "astute conservatives". The only thing 'astute' about Ann Coulter is when she has too much fiber in her diet ;/

P.S. I promise to get off this soapbox real soon. I have a real need to talk about substantial stuff. Like dip-stick restaurant managers. For instance, today's run-in with an ex-boss. That will be worth showing up for.

5 comments:

. said...

Hey, I thought I had you on my blog roll...and here's an email address to start...if you'll use it for initial contact. Sorry I didn't realize my profile was hidden but since I have that blog about exposing email scams just worried about my personal information. The email is bloggerguy39@gmail.com. How is that? I'll comment more on your entry from today soon. Have a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, well I think it doesn't hurt anything to say how you feel on certain issues. And I certainly understand the hesitation of clicking on that publish button. I typed my heart out last week and the text filled up the entire screen ..geez. Then the next morning, the very sight of it irritated me so I deleted it all except for the very end - which was a poem.

Which brought on a very good memory therefore I posted another. Both are "code" for connected events near and dear to me.

Our blogs should mirror our hearts just a little bit I think, so see, you did just fine.

: )

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

I know, I saw your post before you deleted it and was quite honored with what you said. Humbled, but honored.

I just don't want to attract anyone who would start one of those stalker/hater threads in the comment section that happens to bloggers sometimes.

Thanks for the comment, L!

Anonymous said...

awww you saw it? I'm so glad you liked that part... and I still mean it even though the rest is erased. You can let that part of Hamlet remind you of why you write, just a little "code" can be very inspiring in my experience.

Anonymous said...

I respect your views, but for the past 37 years I have lived in the DC area and read the Post.

They are about as Democratic loving newspaper as any that exist, or so I garnered through all my years here.

They love President Obama. Along with all the other Dems.