Sunday, October 11, 2009

The "Enlightened South"

When I first chose the Panhandle of Florida as my "final destination", I figured being on the coast in a highly-touted tourist destination would afford me a home with a little taste. A little discernment. A higher level of sophistication than the rest of the South I came to know growing up in the middle of Mississippi. Oh, how wrong I was.



I've become something of a Masochist by reading the letters to the editor and the comments to those letters in the daily paper via http://www.pnj.com/. If you really want to know what's happening in your community, you read what people write into the paper. And it's a real eye-opener. Below are a few quotes, verbatim, from this last week. These snippets will let you know what I have to put up with on a daily basis:


As for the war of Northern Aggression, the wrong side won and therefore did not get to write the true history. And BTW, I was born and raised in the Northeast but now re-educated.


The commies in the ACLU should be lined up against a wall and shot.


Here's another oxymoron for you morons. EVOLUTIONARY SCIENCE!


FAIL TO THE COMMUNITY DISORGANIZER!!!!!!!!!!


What's the difference between Obama and Hitler? Hitler GOT the Olympics!


Afghanistan is now Barry's war


...and no valid birth certificate...


Dingle Barry sat on his thumbs and "evaluted" [sic]...meanwhile people died!!!!!!!


I don't understand why insurance reform has to come with a "public option" and all the other nonsense. All I want is a fair coverage without loopholes for a fair cost.


...the REAL news organizations like FOX News and Newsmax.com...


So there ya go. The level of sophistication is right up there with Selma, Alabama, circa 1960. Back then, the bad guys were the Democrats with George Wallace the spear-carrier. My, how things have changed. It's like the Republicans and Democrats went into the way-back machine and came out opposite the way they went in.



Beav, we're in for a long fight.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My "little town" has a scary comment feature for each article - online news version. And they use it for fighting, racial rants, and public smears. I live in the Burmuda Triangle of California.

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

It's scary, isn't it L, how the vocal minority can be so hateful. Luckily, they're still the minority as long as the majority votes. Which is why they hate ACORN so much.

Anonymous said...

Wow, good entry there guy. Did you hear WEBY callers last night attacking the lady that killed one of her kids when she left them alone? I'm amazed at how many people would totally call for the death penalty or life in jail for what this lady did to her young kid (which don't get me wrong it's a sad story about child neglect, very sad story) and how they think her crime is somehow more worthy long term jail time than the killers of the Billings murders? I wonder if they felt that strongly about this young lady because of her skin color and a way of making her a poster child for failed policies on welfare and child birth control? I think so. I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts about it.

http://www.wkrg.com/florida/article/18-month-old-baby-found-dead-in-trash-can/439565/Oct-13-2009_7-19-pm/

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Well, anonymous, you may be disappointed with my thoughts. The comment I posted on www.pnj.com was "Best argument EVER for forced sterilization". Those twin 18-month girls weighed 11 pounds. There is NO excuse for that. And we still haven't found out why she left those kids alone while she went to Mobile for the week-end.