Sunday, August 5, 2007

To Bagdad and Back

Bagdad, Florida that is. One of my favorite things to do is to look on the map and find a town or city that sounds interesting. Then I Google it to find out interesting things to see. Then I go.

Well, after reading the paper this morning, I saw that there was an antique glass show in Milton, and it's right next to Bagdad. These are supposedly "historic cities" and I decided to check them out. There's an antique mall in Milton called The Copper Possum that I wanted to check out also.

The morning started out stormy with a cleansing downpour, just enough to raise raise the humidity level from "sauna" to "gills required". After driving over the Garcon Point Bridge, things cleared up and it was sunny the rest of the day. There's something soothing and mind-clearing about a drive in the country. The best day-trips have a destination in mind, but no concrete route, and no time-table. Just put the radio on the 70's channel, turn it up, put on the sunglasses and cruise.

First, I got to the Santa Rosa County Auditorium for the Depression Glass Show, "Depression" being the operative word. There were more vendors than vendees. And I was the youngest person there. By a lot. And a lot of pink, pressed glass plates and cups. Thirty minutes and I was out of there. $3.50 blown. Oh well, maybe I'll win the door prize, whatever it is.

On to Bagdad! Upon arriving at the town limits, they have those signs saying "Designated Historic District". Last time I checked, "Historic" usually means something besides run-down and over-grown. I guess those years I spent in Massachusetts spoiled me. Maybe 1/10th of the houses had paint from this century. Most had old couches and other detritus lining their porches. Now, I know this area got hit fairly hard by Hurricane Ivan and Dennis, but that was three years ago. Damn people, I heard Home Depot might have gotten a shipment or two of paint since then. True, a lot of houses there could be really neat, but hardly anyone takes any pride in their abode. And every restaurant was closed on Sunday. Depression #2.

Just outside of Bagdad was a flea market that I had heard about, so I headed there. First impression, not so good. When the first thing for sale outside that you see is flags, including a Confederate flag, things don't look so good. Then next to the entrance is a guy cooking burgers on a George Foreman grill wearing a dirty wife-beater (the guy, not the grill). Once inside, things don't improve much. You remember all those dust-accumulating tchotchkes your parents had years ago? They've migrated here in all their glory. At prices above their original cost. Uh...buh-bye.

Things improved once I got to the Copper Possum. This was a nice antique mall, except for a few small things. A lot of the nicer old wood pieces were painted with cheap white paint. Neat old Hoosier cabinets, old wooden trunks, and some nice primitive cabinetry were all coated in a flat white paint. I blame the "shabby chic" contingent. If it wasn't covered in bad paint jobs, it was re-finished to a shiny newness that would bring the staff of Antique Roadshow to tears. Someone should be severely slapped.

By then, I was ready to just go home. Golf was on TV, there were coupons to clip from the Sunday paper, and there was Bloody Mary fixins' in the fridge.

Ahhhhhh.......civilisation at last.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're exagerating big time about Bagdad being run down. Living here, I can't imagine where you found sofas on the front porches. The village is going through a revitalization period, and thousands of people have visited us in the last five to ten years for this.

We welcome you to not come back.

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Well, anonymous, first of all, welcome to my blog. I don't know if you've read any post besides this one, but if you had, you'd recognize the sarcasm that is part and parcel of my personality. It's easier for me to attempt humor when I disparage someone or something. Sorry, that's me.

Secondly, I was more disappointed in Bagdad than anything else. So many possibilities exist there. It's right on the Blackwater River, but is hidden except for that little park on the south side of Canal. There's some great architecture (love that church downtown), but don't know if it's State Farm's fault or the owners' who have done practically nothing with it.

Thirdly, I know I visited on a Sunday, and this is the South, but is Saturday the only week-end day someone can get something to eat there? To get money flowing in to improve, you need a reason for people to go. Even the "Historic Train Depot" was closed.

Milton was almost as bad. Great Riverwalk Park, but where are the neat bistros, coffee-houses, and quaint bars over-looking this jewel? Either the town planners are dufuses, or noone really cares. I know Santa Rosa County places many obstacles in the way, so vote them out!

It would have been more productive of you to invite me to see the things I may have missed, and challenge me to do something to change things for the better. Instead you chose to invite me to stay away. With a Welcome Wagon like you, Bagdad will continue to flounder.

Oh, and exaggerate has 2 g's.

last one home said...

Quite the smackdown...but at least someone there has a computer.

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Yeah, I probably deserved it, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a modicum of truth there. It really could be a little jewel on the river, but alas, is just a speed bump between Gulf Breeze and Milton.