Tuesday, July 29, 2008

So Where's Allen Funt?

On my way home tonight, I stopped at the local grocery store to pick up a few needs to tide me over until the week-end. Milk, granola bars, lunch meat, whatever. I always feel lucky if they have the self-check-out lane open and it was. "Score" in more ways than one.

After scanning my items and totalling the bill, I decided I needed an extra ten bucks until payday. So, after going through the process with my debit card, I looked in the cash back chute. There was a crisp twenty sitting there and then my two fives fluttered down on top of it. Hmmmmmm.

I look around to see if anyone is watching. None that I can tell. Is this Candid Camera? A hard-hitting expose from Night-line? Is that Dianne Sawyer thumbing through the Enquirer in the next lane?

What would you do?

I took the twenty up to the Service Desk and turned it in like the boob that I am. It sure would have come in handy, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it after the guilt got through with me.

No. Really. Tell me what you would do. I'm curious.

And if you don't know who Allen Funt is, ask your dad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have done the same thing.

However, my ethics and karma would be seriously tested if I was one of those people who found a paper bag with $100K at the bus stop or found a couple hundred thousand in a bag that fell out of a wells fargo truck.

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

I would have done the same thing in the same circumstance.

If I took the twenty, I'd torture myself with the thought that the money was the last $20 some poor little old lady had to buy her prescriptions until her next check came in the mail. I'd never be able to live with myself.

Karma will come back to you in spades, Exie.

Ex-Restaurant Manager said...

Thanks, guys, for the comments. Funny thing is, I don't think I'd do the same thing again. I was in the store the other day and asked the same manager (who looks about 19) if someone came to claim the money. He just looked at me with a 'deer in the headlights' look and said "no". He probably enjoyed a case of beer at my expense. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

He probably enjoyed a case of beer at my expense. Oh well

But as my sainted mother says, "You did the right thing, so you can sleep at night. It's not your problem how he sleeps."

Snark Scribe said...

I'd probably take it and give it to charity. That way at least I know it went somewhere good, instead of to line the manager's pocket.

Anonymous said...

actually legally its your money-if you turned it into the cops after 30 days if unclaimed it would be yours same as if it was a bag with 100K in it-tho I am sure the IRS would be on hand to get their cut