Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Are You a Leader or a Manager?

I've met and worked with many chefs and managers throughout the years. With a few exceptions, they can be divided into just two categories that I was taught many years ago by a wise sage. Those two categories are: leader or manager.

What's the difference, you may ask? The difference between happy and motivated employees, or grumpy, mindless zombies. Here's how you can tell the difference:

A leader motivates, a manager threatens.

A leader raises up the weakest links, a manager weeds them out.

A leader focuses on problem-solving, a manager assigns blame.

A leader praises hard work, a manager demands it.

A leader accepts praise for the team, a manager grabs it for himself.

A leader works more hours than their charges, a manager scoots at the first sign of a break.

A leader spends 99% of their time on the floor, a manager spends 50% in the office getting the paperwork done early.

A leader gives praise in public and condemnation in private. A manager the opposite.

A leader leaves his private life at home, a manager lives it at work.

Which was I? I fought hard to be a leader. Leaders are looked at with fear by chain restaurants. They are thought to be Mavericks, totally unpromotable and unpredictable. Managers are rewarded with many opportunities. Am I bitter? Yes. Do I have regrets? No. Ummmmm....yes. I wish I had never wasted my time with chain restaurants.

Now, this may seem like sour grapes to some readers, but it's really not. If I can help someone avoid the mistakes I made, it will be worth it. If it makes a manager or two look at themselves in the mirror differently, it will be worth it. If I make a server's ( or dishwasher's, or hostess's, or busser's, or line cook's, etc.) day a little lighter....you get the idea.

Are you a leader or a manager?

Just remember to treat your friendly, neighborhood salesman nicely. He might have been in your shoes once. And he (or she) might be more help than you ever imagined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have definitely worked for both! I also have a feeling you balanced it just right as a manager and a leader.