Sunday, May 27, 2007

Job Transfers for the Man

Any Manager in a chain restaurant will tell you, if they ask you to transfer, JUST SAY NO! When they ask you, they imply that turning them down may hinder your future "promotablility". Bullshit! It's the ones that transfer that ruin their chances at the desirable GENERAL MANAGER post. Believe me, I know first hand.

After many years in the business, I accepted a position with a large Italian chain, who shall heretofore be know as "Linguini Bistro", LB for short. After three short months with said chain in Michigan, my Area Manager pulled me aside for a chat. Finally, I thought, a real sit down with the man! Hey, Assistant Manager (for the rest of this post referred to as Gullible, or G for short), we really, really need help in New York. They can't seem to get decent help, and you're doing so well here, it would really be good for your future to voluntarily transfer. Not to mention, Michigan's economy is in the toilet, so we're not gonna build anymore here, and GM's don't leave very often, and, hey, I hear you'd like to eventually end up in Florida. If you do this, you'll move up the list of all the dozens of Asst. Mgrs. who want to go to the promised land of Florida. Needless to say, I took the bait.

After eleven months in the Hell Hole that was Long Island, I was approached again. Hey, G, we need another strong, experienced AM to help open a new store in Massachusetts, would you like to go? Hells, yeah! After two fruitful and enjoyable years in Mass., along came the spider again. Hey, G, that store you want to go to in Florida is pushed back for another year, would you like to help us out again? We have a problem store in Chattanooga, Tennessee, that needs your type of hands-on help. Seven months later...Hey, G, that store in Florida is put back another 6 to 9 months, how about going to another store in Florida, only in Ft.Myers, until yours is ready? Sure, says G, only too ready to help his benefactors. Six weeks later, North Miami Beach needs help. How neat would that be, G? Land of Gloria Estefan and Shaq! Eleven months later, hey, G, we've decided to sell this property for a gazillion dollars, so we're shutting it down. Oh, so you'll have to move again, and by the way, that store in Florida that you wanted to go to, well, you're not on the team, because your present GM doesn't like you. He says all the problems are your fault, and everything that went right was because of him, but we'll find another store that will take you. I couldn't write my 2-weeks notice any faster if I was the Flash.

When you move that often for a company, you never establish any long-term results. That gives them every opportunity to keep you down. All the Area Directors want to promote "their guys", not someone brought in to help their failing stores. Guess thats my fault for not sucking enough ass. Oh well, my conscience is clean. And I believe in kharma. And I believe that's what has led me to my new, perfect job. And I repeat, it's Monday thru Friday, 40 hours a week, all holidays off. Finally, my kharma payback.

No comments: